California Chiropractic Foundation
Dr. Robert L. Dark Memorial Scholarship
Dr. Robert L. Dark was a champion of the chiropractic profession and the patients it serves. President of the California Chiropractic Association Riverside County Society and the California Chiropractic Association, Dr. Dark lent his considerable intellect and talent to positioning CalChiro as a positive and influential voice in state and federal health care public policymaking in those capacities, as well as chair of the CalChiro Government Relations Department, the California Chiropractic Association Political Action Committee and the American Chiropractic Association Political Action Committee. In honor of his memory this scholarship is awarded.
One scholarship per calendar year is offered by the California Chiropractic Foundation. It is a merit-based scholarship designed to reward California residents who 1) desire to make chiropractic a career, 2) are enrolled in a Council on Chiropractic Education-accredited college of chiropractic and 3) are active in governmental affairs activities of the California Chiropractic Association or another state or national chiropractic association.
All applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Must be a California resident.
- At the time of scholarship payment, must be currently enrolled as a second or later year student in a CCE-accredited college of chiropractic working toward the earning of a doctor of chiropractic diploma.
- Must be a student member of the California Chiropractic Association.
- Must be active in the governmental affairs activities of the California Chiropractic Association or another state or national chiropractic association. Activities could include, but are not limited to, attendance at the annual CalChiro Legislative Day, actively writing California lawmakers on issues of importance to the California chiropractic profession in response to requests by CalChiro, arranging on-campus student meetings featuring CalChiro public policy issues, working with local CalChiro districts in arranging meetings featuring CalChiro public policy issues, assisting in fund-raising for the California Chiropractic Association Political Action Committee, demonstrated desire to be active in governmental affairs activities of the chiropractic profession throughout his or her chiropractic career, or similar activities for other state or national associations.
- Submission of a letter of recommendation from the president of the chiropractic college attended and a letter of recommendation from a state or national chiropractic association officer or committee chair attesting to governmental affairs involvement on behalf of the chiropractic profession.
The scholarship is for one year. The scholarship may be renewed by re-application.
Dr. Robert L. Dark Memorial Scholarship Recipients
2022 – Howie Chang
Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship
The California Chiropractic Association (CalChiro) proudly shares a new chiropractic student scholarship, the Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship. CalChiro is committed to diversity and inclusion in our membership and in the chiropractic profession as a whole. The association, guided by these principles, is offering three $1,000 Diversity and Inclusion Scholarships, one for each California Chiropractic College: Life Chiropractic College West, Palmer College of Chiropractic West Campus and Southern California University of Health Sciences.
These scholarships are intended to help support a diverse chiropractic student body within our California schools. The areas of diversity can include, but are not limited to: Race, Ethnicity, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Religion, Age, Disability and Single Parent. The goal of the scholarship is to increase the overall diversity of chiropractors practicing in California to more accurately reflect the diversity of the people of our state.
The ideal Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship recipients will demonstrate a commitment to advocating for diversity and inclusion in their educational career as well as in the community at large.
D&I Scholarship Recipients
- Life Chiropractic College West: Estefania Fernandez
- Palmer College of Chiropractic West: Howie Chang
- Southern California University of Health Sciences: Shayla Hartz
- Life Chiropractic College West: Harpreet Lotey
- Palmer College of Chiropractic West: Alecia Beckford-Stewart
- Southern California University of Health Sciences: Christian Velasco Caragao